La Fin de Y2S2

The classroom days are over, and once I'm done with finals, it'll be the end of my second year of undergraduate schooling! Time has really flown by, and I still remember clearly my first day, lost on the way to Orientation Camp. When the summer passes, I'll be a third year student, and it'll soon be time to decide whether or not to do my honours year or take a leap of faith and hope some school would take me in as a Master's student. Or take the long route and go ahead with the honours before proceeding to do a Master's. Life is full of choices, but the paths usually do not diverge too far out from the main road. However, here is one at the crossroads - a choice that once made, would take a really long time before I am able to hit the the next U-turn, and even then, it'll be a long journey back to the starting line. 

As the A-level results were recently released, I was able to hear the choices my cousins made. It made me think back on the day of my results, and the different routes we all embarked on. I decided to stay in sg, Sijia decided to redo her A-levels, Laura took a gap year and finally made it to Aussie, Wu Ai went back to tw but ended up here at FASS anw. I'm not sure if they took it that way, but these three people were the closest friends I made in 6C42. There were no ill feelings, I just wasn't especially fond of that class; I always liked 4H the best, even though my bestest friends still came from another not-too-well-remembered class. 

Despite the fact that I always try to live with my decisions and carry on forwards to do the best I could for myself out of the present situation, I sometimes still wonder if I made the right decision back then. What if I decided to go to the UK anw? Would I be doing much better academically than now? What would have happened to my jaw if I weren't in sg? Who would I have met in place of the awesome people in NUS and the new friends I met at Chingay with PA?

***
To mark the end of the semester, the Korean language class peeps from summer last year went out for a meal. I haven't seen them in a whole year! And where else should kpop fanatics go but a Korean restaurant! It was Qiqing's recommendation and it was really good. The restaurant was kind of empty, but there were pretty many people considering the hour we were there. I don't really know if the dishes were the right taste because I haven't had these dishes in Korea, but it seemed to us that most of the people eating there were Koreans except for us, so I guess this has to be super authentic cuisine o:

The shopfront looked pretty much Korean, with all the Korean characters plastered over the glass door. But then the interior caused me to become a little apprehensive. The tables were well set out, unlike in Korea where we were generally made to sit on the floor. On the walls were hung pictures of food which looked more Chinese than any other kind, and the cover of the menu read 东方红 Chinese Restaurant. Then Darren told me it was a Korean-Chinese restaurant, which kind of cleared things up. Hiro also said they have Japanese-Chinese restaurants in Japan, which is of the same concept; Chinese food served to suit the ethnic tastebuds.

We all didn't know what to order, so when QQ recommended the 짜장면, our entire table just ordered that. For the dishes, we called for a plate of sweet-and-sour pork per four pax. So the final order was eight bowls of 짜장면 and two plates of pork. The bill was really easy to settle cos we just had to split it equally.


짜장면
The look of the 짜장면 was not unlike its Chinese counterpart which it drew its inspiration from, although the sauce was stirred with a lot more onion and less minced meat than 炸酱面. Darren had to publicly declare that one time he managed to find a piece of meat >.<
Sweet-and-Sour Pork
We were all expecting a plate of red to arrive at our table, but I guess Koreans prefer chili sauce over tomato ketchup. So the sauce of the pork did not contain any ketchup, although other than the missing tomato flavour, everything else remained more or less the same. The pork was fried with too much flour, which made it a little fluffy. While us Singaporeans all declared our preference for the Chinese version, Hiro said he liked the Korean one better because it looked much healthier, and there was less tastes surrounding the pork, so it was more Japanese, which was good for him.


***
It's almost time for the exams, so the blog hiatus begins today.