Le Renard et L'Enfant


I watched Le Renard et L'Enfant with sijia at the AF Theatre today, and it was amazing. I would like to thank sijia for joining me in using up two pairs of my free tix. I get twelve free tix (six pairs) a year, and this is actually the year I have used them the most. That means for the longest time ever, I have only used less than four tix a year and threw the rest away /:

I really like the french cinematographic style. I like film art in general, because of the picturesque every scene, but I think the french just add a certain distinct touch to it. Yves Saint Laurent (version Jalil Lespert 2014), Malabar Princess, and this are all examples of expert french cinematography. Also, I like how the french use very limited dialogue, such that 句句中肯, and every sentence uttered pushes the narrative forward. Otherwise, I sometimes feel that mainstream movies / dramas contain too much fluff talk. Especially in Le Renard et L'Enfant, the non-speech shifts the focus onto a whole host of other sounds that are a natural part of the surroundings. 一切尽在不言之中.

The setting of this film was captivating, and the animals beautiful. Every scene looked like it just came out of a National Geographic magazine. I wouldn't even be surprised if at the end of the film it turns out this was an advertisement for forest tourism in France. It must have been such feat for the camera crew to capture such wonderful angles of these wild animals in their natural habitat. I absolutely loved the scenery and animal shots ♥

However, the ending was a little disappointing. I would rather Lila narrate her reflections as the screen blacks out instead of making a sudden jump to a conversation between an adult Lila and her son. They haven't been introduced for the entire film, so I find their appearance a little superfluous. Sijia says it's cos films usually put a face to the voice, so that was one of the ways to introduce the narrator before the closure. But I would rather she not reveal her face. There wasn't any doubt that the narrator of the story was adult Lila to begin with anw. Also, the sudden cut from young Lila to adult Lila was a little jarring. I generally don't really like a timelapse at the end of shows, because I find it a lazy way to not tell the audience what happened in between, and suddenly there is a happy ending. I'd prefer it if they just end the show where it should so that there is a closure and not create new questions that are left unanswered.

Korean dramas are largely guilty of doing this. In the last episode, the lead actor / actress is dying from some terminal illness, the doctors wheel him / her in to the operating theatre, and cut to three years later when he / she is healthy and they live happily ever after. What miracle cure did he receive? I would like to know it so that I may use it in times of emergency too. Sometimes, I wished the main character would just die so that the story flows more coherently. But if the writers really did that, I'd be left wondering what happened to dramaland. Oh, the contradictions in life.

Back to Le Renard et L'Enfant. The subtle messages about love and possession really did come through strongly towards the end. Despite the love she showered upon him through the seasons, all it took was just one moment in which the fox was hurt by Lila's desire to possess him. How fragile love is. How blur the line between love and desire is. I hope adult Lila has learnt from her lesson and will learn to love and respect her son well.