Beijing 2015: Week 2


It seriously has been one hell of a crazy week. It was the heatwave on Sunday and Monday, but right after the first light shower which saved the day, the rains only got heavier and heavier. Friday, it was the heaviest rain Beijing has seen in the recent years, with some parts of the city reporting over 70cm of rain per hour. Going from 42ºC of heat into 19ºC within a week is truly no fun at all.

Beijing itself is also no fun. I think the only thing keeping me sane around here are the people I hang out with. It's the first time I'm growing bored of a place even though I've only been here for two weeks, and I can foresee myself hating here by the end of the month. It is crowded everywhere at anytime of the day. The place itself is dirty and polluted. The general public here are unfriendly, rude, rowdy and loud. I mean, of course I've met a lot of nice people too, but when I begin to talk to these civilised ones, I realise they have all lived overseas before, and they all agree that it is only right that Westerners stereotype the Chinese and hate them. For example, when I told Maggie, who studied in the UK, that sometimes I get discriminated against for looking Chinese, she said people hate the chinese for obvious reasons, isn't it?

Then there are the campaigns. I watched Campaign Nation on the plane to China, and then when I got here, I felt like the sg govt needn't mock themselves so much over their multiple campaigns, cos we didn't do it to the extent of the Beijing govt, and our campaigns work so much better than here. Everywhere I walk, there are red banners promoting civilised living. On the roads, they write 文明驾驶; on the trains they make announcements to ask people to give up their seats; at tourist attractions they tell them not to carve on walls. Sadly, I see people doing all these all the time. It's like no one is listening to the call to make Beijing a better place in time for the Winter Olympics 2022. This is really mean of me, but I genuinely hope Beijing doesn't win the bid for it.

Jasmine, who is from Beijing but currently studying in Canada, told me that maybe I should try going to the east side of the city more often. She says it's much more modern there, and the people who live there are generally richer, so maybe I would be able to find a little more of the first world feels and take comfort in it. But it really isn't so much of me not being used to the third world. I haven't got bored of Thailand or Vietnam or Cambodia yet. There is just something about this place that makes me want to stay away. I hope Shanghai 2016 wouldn't turn out to be like that.

It's dinnertime now, so toodles x