Shanghai 2016: I'm Halfway Through

Midterm exams just ended, and that also marks the end of half of my stay here in Shanghai. Time really flies. In the first week, I was still unable to get used to the life here and dreaded every day. But now, I got past all that unhappiness and just learnt to live with it. It may not be the best, but I shall make the best out of it.

To mark this very special occasion of having survived exactly two months in China, as well as having exactly another two months to go in this place, we went out around Shanghai today. The first stop was the Jewish Refugees Museum 犹太难民纪念馆;
The museum was converted from an old jewish mosque, now refurbished, and offered free tours around. Although it was a small place, there was a lot to see there, but honestly, going to the museum without taking part in the tour would be a total waste of time and money. I am not really sure what I would have gotten out of the place had there not been someone telling me about I was actually seeing. Like who would have known that the books in the shelf were actually originals left behind by a German jewish school teacher? I would have just glanced at it once and think that they were part of the display for how a jewish bookshelf looked like.

Even though I still think Japan did wrong during WWII, and that they should face up to the facts of their history, but the Jewish Museum allowed me to think that they at least did something right by not agreeing to exterminate the jews in Shanghai when they were allied with the Germans. 

After the tour, we made our way to Old Milfun 1933. It is an abattoir, now converted into a lifestyle hub. Right at the door, we alr saw an area being prepared for a couple's wedding. That is how alternative and upmarket this place has become. 

We totally picked the right day to go cos there was a Spring Fest happening there as well this weekend! :D while I had always looked forward to seeing this poured concrete art deco slaughterhouse, I have to admit that just looking at the architecture and walking around the corridors or chilling at the cafes there would have been a little tad boring. But healthy living and bohemian chic and art and earth tones is so my thing. And what more an entire bazaar dedicated to that.

It was really a good timeout for me from China. Most booths there were run by foreigners, and most visitors were foreigners too. The few chinese people there mostly spoke very decent english too. There was no pushing, no shoving, no screaming and shouting, no spitting on the floor, and no behaving like a chinese. 

Mostly for the reason of quality and handmade goods, I ended up buying a whole lot of many things there. I finally unleashed my shopping potential after two months of not buying anything. I do not want to buy china goods for fear of fakes or poor quality, and I do not want to buy foreign goods either, cos of the 40% import tax. There is nothing left besides chinese goods and foreign goods, so I basically do not buy anything in China. Except for one pair of adidas terrain shoes, which I needed. But today, here were goods produced by foreigners in China, which resolves the problem of quality and import tax at the same time. I bought dried fruit chips and nuts to munch on in my room, and some cupcakes and a teacake, some milk and juice, and an arabian pudding and a dinner bento. All my natural foods which I have dearly missed. Also, handmade soaps which smell heavenly, and a headband, and a shirt.